The holiday season is a time for giving, sharing and enjoying family and friends. Unfortunately, it's also a season for criminals, who have more targets carrying extra money with lowered awareness.
But there are ways to protect yourself and to lessen your chances of a crime happening to you.
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry, do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible.
Keep your mind on your surroundings, who's in front of you and who's behind you. Don't get distracted.
Walk purposefully, stand tall, and make eye contact with people around you.
TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. If you feel uncomfortable, leave.
- Always carry your Texas Driver License or Identification Card along with necessary cash, checks and/or a credit card you expect to use.
- Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay alert to your surroundings.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with a check or credit card when possible.
- Keep cash in your front pocket.
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Be extra careful if you do carry a wallet or purse. They are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas, transportation terminals, bus stops, on buses and other rapid transit.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, "con-artists" may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
Take the Holiday Safety Quiz - Answering the questions can help determine if you are doing all that you can to protect yourself and your family from would-be criminals during the holiday season at home while shopping.
Click on the link below to begin the test. At the end of the quiz you will be given a score, which is completely confidential and can only be seen by you. START THE QUIZ!